What are the different certificates required (or highly recommended) for a rental property and why are they needed?

Landlords thinking of letting out a property should be aware of certain certificates that they need before a tenant moves in - these include Energy Performance Certificates and Gas Safety Certificates. In this BLOG we'll cover what is required and why.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?Legally every property that is being built, marketed for sale or to rent must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), or the vendor/landlord should have arranged for one within 30 days of the property being marketed. It tells any prospective buyer/tenant how energy efficient the property is, how expensive it is likely to be to run, and recommendations for how to make the property more energy efficient. An EPC lasts for 10 years. The person selling the house, the landlord or the letting agent must show you the EPC if you're buying or renting.

What is a gas safety certificate?

By law under the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998, it's the landlord's responsibility to get a gas safety certificate every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property. All tenants have a right to ask to see the gas safety certificate before they move into a property.

What is an Electrical Certificate?

Such safety checks are commonly known as 'periodic inspection' or 'domestic electrical installation condition report'. An electrical inspection report will: Reveal if any of your electrical circuits or equipment are overloaded and find any potential electric shock risks and fire hazards. It is recommended that landlords get a qualified NICEIC registered electrician to carry out an inspection at least every 5 years, and this is a legal requirement for HMO landlords.

What is PAT testing?

All electrical appliances in a rental property must be safe to use and it is the landlord's responsibility to ensure this. Portable appliance testing (PAT) is the term used to describe the examination of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use. Most electrical safety defects can be found by visual examination but some types of defect can only be found by testing. It is recommended that landlords get a PAT test every few years. It is also recommended that the landlord check each appliance has a 'CE' mark which shows it meets European standards.

Related Articles

Top 5 Tips Before Buying A House

Questions To Ask Before Putting In An Offer

Published on 19 April 2016

Source Trinity Sales Wakefield

Content © 2017 Trinity Sales    Website Built by Estates IT Limited   Powered by PCHomes Estate Agent Software    +Site Map    Privacy