Landlord's insurance - think you're covered?

Getting the right insurance cover for your buy to let property can often be a minefield, with landlords sometimes believing they are covered for certain situations when in fact this is not the case.

The main types of insurance landlords will need to get are:

The main types of insurance landlords will need to get are:Specialist Landlord’s Insurance Public Liability Insurance – a tenant might sue you if they injure themselves in your property, say if they trip on a loose corner of carpet Buildings Insurance Contents Insurance - even if you are not furnishing the property, as contents insurance will cover things like the carpets.

Make sure you check you will be covered for everything you need before taking out a policy. Key things to check for are:

Am I covered for malicious damage? Loss of rent cover? – for example if your property is damaged by a fire and cannot be let out while repairs are being undertaken. Also check how long a period you will be covered for loss of rent Tenant rent arrears, particularly if you're relying on the rent to cover mortgage payments Do my tenants need to have passed a referencing and credit check in order for the insurance to be valid? What’s my excess? How much am I covered for if a tenant tried to sue me? What is the cut off for void periods? If I get new tenants am I still covered?

If you would like us to refer you to a recommended insurer for your buy to let, please give us a call on 019124 609 811 or email us at

Related Articles

What is the difference between a mortgage agreement in principle and a mortgage offer?

Non-Refundable Deposits/ Money Down/Reservation Fees on Properties - What are the potential pitfalls to you the buyer?

Published on 28 April 2016

Source Trinity Sales Wakefield

Content © 2017 Trinity Sales    Website Built by Estates IT Limited   Powered by PCHomes Estate Agent Software    +Site Map    Privacy